How to make the math right with variables as filter

Options

I'm using variable as the filter for a dashboard.

Basically I created variables named "timeframe" with values of Month, Quarter & Year

On the breakdown, it works perfectly with timeframe as dimension.

However, for the summary card, i used timeframe as the filter with the below SQL

Funny thing is if I pull out sum('Budget') or Sum('Actual') only, it shows the correct number (aka 558k for actual & 56k for budget for this quarter). But when I subtracted actual from budget, it shows -526k instead of the the correctly calculated number of -501k. Please see the screenshot.

Please help!

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    edited February 29 Answer ✓
    Options

Wrap your entire outer/first case statement in a SUM function and replace all SUM(`Budget`) with COALESCE(`Budget`,0). Do the same for Actual

its doing the subtraction after all records have been added together instead of summing the differences for each record causing the discrepancy

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    edited February 29 Answer ✓
    Options

Wrap your entire outer/first case statement in a SUM function and replace all SUM(`Budget`) with COALESCE(`Budget`,0). Do the same for Actual

its doing the subtraction after all records have been added together instead of summing the differences for each record causing the discrepancy

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thuy_Tu
    Thuy_Tu Member
    Options

Thanks so much! This works like a champ!

I didn't know that the Coalesce function can do the sum up!