Prepopulate Filter

Options

Hi hopefully this makes sense.

I am trying to prepopulate a filter based on the users last input selected. The rows in my dataset have a staring city location and an ending city location to get possible routes. The first method I tried was to join every starting location on every ending location and then from there join rows that have Starting Location = Previous ending Location causing the dataset to grow exponentially. Example of the rows "(Column name: Route One) ATL → LOS (Column Name: Route Two) LOS → CHI" "(Column name : route one)ATL - LOS (Column Name : Route Two) LOS → LAS" The next option I tried was just to have one column name with every single possible route and use the DDX Brick called Searchable Filter APP witch works but it doesnt filter based on users last input. My thought is the only way to make this possible is to just have that massive dataset.

My Question is how can I make it where the same column is getting filtered "Route", without making the dataset be in the couple billions rows, and whatever the ending location is of the first route they select, is the starting location of the second route.

Answers

• ArborRose
    Options

I think the approach you mention is going to give to many records. You could try creating a separate table with unique combinations of routes with start and end points. Then create a filter with logic based on the last selection made.

There's a searchable filter app in Domo but I've never used it.

https://www.domo.com/appstore/app/ddx-searchable-filter-app-multiple-columns/overview

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• ColinHaze
    Options

ArborRose
    Would you recommend the filter being a beastmode? I am having a hard time creating that filter without doing it the way where the dataset would be too big.

• ArborRose
    Options

Eat an elephant one bite at a time.

Based on your description, it sounds like you are trying to create a dataset of all possibilities….every combination. I would try some kind of user interaction. For example, create a dashboard where users select their starting location from a dropdown filter. Then, based on their selection, populate another dropdown filter with the possible ending locations for routes originating from the selected starting location.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• DataMaven
    Options

Can you give a small example of what you have and then make a scenario of what you would want the functionality to be? Also - what is your end-user actually doing? Is this for an app? Is this maybe a use case for Variables? If I am understanding the use case well enough, I think it might be a time to use Variables…

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • ColinHaze
    Options

DataMaven

Here is the dataset that has every possible lane location joined together, its around 1.3 million rows and it looks like this.

The Dashboard I am working on looks like this

Which allows the user to search whatever lane they want. Once selected it will appear on the map and lane breakdown.

Now based on this example I want the user to only be able to select Locations that start with conyers and it does not replace the previous lane selected. So when they click on search lanes again they should only see lanes starting in conyers. Right now the dashboard works, the user can now look up any lane they want, I just want them to only be able to look up lanes that have the starting point of the previous end point.

ArborRose I tried that. However the issue that arises with that is they wont be able to select multiple locations. I had two drop down boxes at one point where they would look up starting point and then the next drop down had it to where they could select the lane. After they select the lane, I was unable to change the starting point to the new starting point.