What is going on with "Other" in a bar chart?

Options
Jones01
Jones01 Contributor

Hi,

Was hoping someone could either confirm this is a bug or tell me what I am doing wrong please. I am waiting for domo to get back to me on this with a more complex scenario but I thought I would try this with very basic data and to me it doesn't work.

Given the data

When I set the value on the yaxis and on tooltip #1 and set both to display i get this which is correct.

When I set the chart to show the top 2 I get this

The tooltip value in Other isn't being aggregated. It is showing the value for England.

Am I right to expect both to be aggregated?

Best Answer

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can reproduce the error. Jones01 is not using "limit rows", they are using "Max items" in the general settings. I would agree this appears to be a bug in how the tooltip is aggregated for "other" bars.

@Jones01 Until they resolve this bug, you could do something similar (but more manual) by creating a rank column in magic ETL, and then you could group based on that rank using a BeastMode (or formula tile).

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• MichelleH
    Options

@Jones01 Can you send a screenshot of how your tooltip is configured?

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    Options

@MichelleH sure. It is the same as the yaxis. sum(value)

• ArborRose
    Options

Can you show us what you are doing with tooltip? I do not get that response from Domo based on what you show…assuming your fields are defined as date, text, and numeric as shown below.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• ArborRose
    Options

I still don't get that result with a tooltip. If your data comes from Excel, try formatting the columns before using it.

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    Options
  • ArborRose
    Options

You are putting 2 into maximum items. That's not top 2. Look where it shows LIMIT ROWs. Set that to 2. And remove 2 from maximum items.

• ArborRose
    Options

It seems like Domo is aggregating the data based on the "maximum number of items" setting you've specified. When you set the maximum number of items to 2, Domo is likely displaying the top two countries with the highest values and then grouping the remaining countries under an "Other" category.

In your dataset:

• The highest value is 64, corresponding to the US.
    • The second-highest value is 48, corresponding to New Zealand.
    • The remaining two values (45 for England and 33 for Austria) fall below the top two, so they are grouped under "Other."

This behavior is common in visualization tools when dealing with limited space or when you want to focus on the most significant data points. By setting a maximum number of items, you can control how many data points are directly displayed on the chart, while the rest are grouped for clarity and simplicity. If you want to ensure all data points are visible, you may need to adjust the settings or choose a different visualization method that can accommodate all the data without aggregation.

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited February 8
    Options

@ArborRose I want the chart to automatically produce the "Other" bar.

Choosing maximum of 2 items and ordering by totals shows the top 2, or top n

it is the "Other" bar that I am suggesting has the problem.

@ArborRose sorry I just read your last post. I don't think you are understanding the issue.

Why does the yaxis sum(value) differ from the tooltip1 sum(value) on the other bar. That is the issue.

These should be the same

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I can reproduce the error. Jones01 is not using "limit rows", they are using "Max items" in the general settings. I would agree this appears to be a bug in how the tooltip is aggregated for "other" bars.

@Jones01 Until they resolve this bug, you could do something similar (but more manual) by creating a rank column in magic ETL, and then you could group based on that rank using a BeastMode (or formula tile).

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.