Is there a way to "freeze" data in domo to compare net new information to previous information?

Options

For example:

I have Promo X that has been running from Jan – Dec 2023 and I can see the impressions for that time frame with no problem by filtering to that date range and looking at the data for that date range. |

I’m now running Promo X in March 2024, and want to look at net new impressions to this promo in March 2024 ONLY compared to previous months.

Is there any way to do that in Domo? My first thought was that there's probably some way to freeze incoming data for a set time frame using beast modes (I'm just not sure how.)

None of the native tools in domo look to give an option to look at net new entries to a data set, unless I'm missing something. Any directional guidance is helpful!

Best Answer

Answers

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited February 6 Answer ✓
    Options

I use recursion to create a snapshot of a dataset. A simple google search "Domo recursion" will give you an example.

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360057087393?language=en_US

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• amack
    amack Member
    Options

@ArborRose I'll take a look at recursion, thank you for that!

• ArborRose
    Options

You may not need to store a snapshot to compare old data to new data. Depending upon the data, you can do a trend of Year over Year, Month over Month, Year to Date, etc. Look under chart types for Period over Period.

YTD comparisons can also be done with formulas representing current year, previous year, previous 2 year, etc. I call this a trend dashboard.

CY YTD:

sum(
    case when YEAR(date) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())
    and date <= CURRENT_DATE()
    then amount else 0 end
    )

PY YTD:

sum(
    case when YEAR(date) = YEAR(DATE_ADD(CURRENT_DATE(),-365))
    and date <= DATE_ADD(CURRENT_DATE(),-365)
    then amount else 0 end
    )

P2Y YTD:
    sum(
    case when YEAR(date) = YEAR(DATE_ADD(CURRENT_DATE(),-730))
    and date <= DATE_ADD(CURRENT_DATE(),-730)
    then amount else 0 end
    )

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **