Can you use workflows to automatically manage workbench?

Options
Jarren
Jarren Member
edited January 31 in Workflows

Our workbench jobs have a habit of getting hung up when updating making our data fall behind and our end users annoyed. I've already reached out to domo support to help with this issue but in the meantime I have workbench open and I manually update the jobs that miss their scheduled updates. Seeing how this is pretty annoying I began looking into creating a workflow that would notify me when a workbench job missed the update and would automatically run the job to get it back on schedule.

I see the run dataset function in the dataset package but this doesn't seem to work for datasets originating from workbench. There's a good chance I'm setting something up wrong as well.

Any help would be great. Thank you

Best Answers

• Zoolander
    Zoolander Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jarren, as it relates to Workbench, there isn't any way for a Workflow to talk to Workbench, because it's running locally behind your firewall in your environment. That said, your idea of having a workflow notify if you data hasn't updated is a good one.

I believe there is an end point that can update a workbench jobs schedule, and a workflow could hit that end point, but that doesn't solve your problem of unstable db connections. That may be helpful if you want to update the job to run 10 minutes from now, for example.

I'm happy to do some more digging in to that end point if you think it would be helpful.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was just looking into some remote triggering of Workbench jobs and one of my Domo contacts thought about Workflows as well. He did some asking around with the Domo engineers and was told Workflows would not be able to help in this scenario.

There is a beta of Domo Workbench Enterprise that might be worth looking into. It could provide the capabilities you are looking for.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• Zoolander
    Zoolander Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jarren, as it relates to Workbench, there isn't any way for a Workflow to talk to Workbench, because it's running locally behind your firewall in your environment. That said, your idea of having a workflow notify if you data hasn't updated is a good one.

I believe there is an end point that can update a workbench jobs schedule, and a workflow could hit that end point, but that doesn't solve your problem of unstable db connections. That may be helpful if you want to update the job to run 10 minutes from now, for example.

I'm happy to do some more digging in to that end point if you think it would be helpful.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

I was just looking into some remote triggering of Workbench jobs and one of my Domo contacts thought about Workflows as well. He did some asking around with the Domo engineers and was told Workflows would not be able to help in this scenario.

There is a beta of Domo Workbench Enterprise that might be worth looking into. It could provide the capabilities you are looking for.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Jarren
    Options

@Zoolander I'd be interested in learning about that end point idea of yours

@MarkSnodgrass Thank you for the reply. I'll take a look at the Domo Workbench Enterprise

• Zoolander
    Zoolander Contributor
    Options

@Jarren - I'll see what I can turn up. It's not an end point of mine, but I know a guy…

• Zoolander
    Zoolander Contributor
    Options

@Jarren - I think, after further research, this is something that should wait for a workbench enhancement. Apparently it would be quite risky to use this end point as you could very easily botch the entire workbench job as it wasn't created for this purpose.

• Jarren
    Options

@Zoolander Sounds good. Thank you for the help!