Hello from a new user!

Options

Hello all!

My name is Alex Smith. I'm starting a career change from a design and marketing role of 15+ years into a product manager role on the Innovation and Data Management team here at a large nonprofit in Houston, TX.

I've enjoyed art and design quite a bit, but I'm interested in shifting direction to a data visualization role. Feels like drinking from a firehose to learn all about the data architecture within the organization before I can start being self-sufficient in both user requests as well as anything I'd like to build myself from scratch.

Some things I'm doing to try to make up ground as fast as possible:

• Self-paced learning - going through the tutorials to get familiar with the environment
• Attending live trainings and workshops - currently going through the New Power User Orientation as well as attending webinars (signing up even with scheduling conflicts in order to get access to the recording), and hands-on trainings (found the sandbox workshop a little tough to keep up with)
• Going through existing ETLs to understand in-context use cases for my organization by renaming icons to be more explanatory and filling in the notes in order to articulate what's happening. Plan to review those later with my supervisor to ensure accurate understanding.

On a lighter note (per the introduction suggestions), one of my hobbies is one of naturalist studies. Going out and making photographic observations via apps like iNaturalist, where I can make species lists relative to particular areas, is pretty exciting. I would love to be able to use that data to tell interesting stories or share reports with fellow hobbyists. There are also related websites like the Global Biodiversity Information Facility which could also provide data to play with.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• GrantStowell
    GrantStowell Domo Employee
    Options

Big career shifts are always exciting! They come with a lot of uncertainty as well. Sounds like you're doing all the right things to learn and grow quickly though. Joining this community is a big one! You'll have access to some of Domo's greatest minds here. Good luck on your journey and don't hesitate to ask the community for help. Who knows, maybe someday you'll be the one answering questions!

• JasonAltenburg
    Options

Welcome Alex! I am DEFINITELY checking out iNaturalist, that seems amazing!

• Domolex
    Domolex Member
    edited February 2
    Options

Thanks! And, Yes; do it! It's an amazing resource if you're a naturalist of any level!!

Really excited to pull data from friends' entomology projects at different parks around town to see how I can add visual interest. Their reports so far have just been data tables, but I'm sure I can use that data to show something like species richness over time/season with phylogenetic drill-downs, maybe formulate rarefaction curves for potential unreported species. 🤓

If you do something similar or have any ideas, I would LOVE to hear about it!

• jrudd
    Options

Welcome @Domolex . I made a similar career shift a few years back. Current working at a digital marketing agency where I initially was leading out on marketing automation effort and now have taken ownership of our Domo instance. It has been great utilizing Domo to help to report out on marketing efforts for our clients as well as building out insights on our internal teams capacity and client profitability.