"Department" Attribute. How can I remove ones that no longer exist in our organization.

Options

While editing a user via the UI, the department attribute seems to build a dropdown list of possible selections. It also allows one to create a new department name. How can this list be edited AND/OR restricted to only allow Admins to edit?

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can bulk change the departments using the User Management Toolkit in Governance Toolkit. This is a premium feature that you may need to reach out to your CSM to enable if you haven't already. You can also bulk change departments using the Bulk Import option. Just make sure to select "Add new people and edit existing profiles"

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited January 23
    Options

Once removed from all users in Domo, that department will no longer appear in the drop down list. It will remain if it is the department of any user in your instance.

• JFRdevo
    Options

Thanks Coleman. That helps to know the dropdown is populating from what is already in the data. However, it will be a tedious task to edit all users when there is a department name change. It'd be nice to have a way to edit all department names from "IT" to "Technology" for example.

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can bulk change the departments using the User Management Toolkit in Governance Toolkit. This is a premium feature that you may need to reach out to your CSM to enable if you haven't already. You can also bulk change departments using the Bulk Import option. Just make sure to select "Add new people and edit existing profiles"

• JFRdevo
    Options

That is the answer I was looking for! We did just add this feature to our instance. Now I know a specific application for it.

Thanks!!

• ColemenWilson
    edited January 23
    Options

And the "Manage all users" grant could be removed for the users you don't want to edit the department field as this grant is required to edit the Department field for all users.