Early noob questions and frustrations around filters in analyzer

Options

I'm experimenting with Domo and I'm trying to recreate some powerBi reports. I have successfully connected to our Jira instance for issues and I'm now trying to create some visuals and reports based on the "issues" database.

One of the charts I'm trying to build requires me to filter based on a date field containing a date. Seems simple, right? However I cannot find a way to tell Analyzer to filter out all issues that are null/empty. How do I do this please? Note: this is not the card date filter for "last 14 days" or whatever, this is the "filters" column where I've dragged in the date field and want to set it to not show issues without a date.

Also another card requires that a single issue_type field does not contain one of three values: Epic, Initiative or Idea, and yet I'm unable to do this, it would appear. I drag the issue_type field to filters and can set it to exclude all issues that are Epics, for example, but I can find no way to exclude all three values, and I cannot include the issue_type field three times.

Am I missing something obvious or is Domo unable to do this kind of thing?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@carled Whenever you are filtering based off of whether a field is null, you will need to create a beast mode field that uses the "is" operator to check for nulls or the IFNULL function to assign a value to rows with null values. Then you can drag your beast modes into the filters section in the Analyzer.

case when `Date` is null then 'Exclude' else 'Include' end

IFNULL(`issue_type`,'N/A')

Note that this behavior is not specific to Domo. The filters in Analyzer behave like the "=" or "in" operators in SQL, which also do not capture nulls.

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@carled Whenever you are filtering based off of whether a field is null, you will need to create a beast mode field that uses the "is" operator to check for nulls or the IFNULL function to assign a value to rows with null values. Then you can drag your beast modes into the filters section in the Analyzer.

case when `Date` is null then 'Exclude' else 'Include' end

IFNULL(`issue_type`,'N/A')

Note that this behavior is not specific to Domo. The filters in Analyzer behave like the "=" or "in" operators in SQL, which also do not capture nulls.

• carled
    Options

@MichelleH That was really helpful, thank you!