Bar Chart Beastmode

Options

Hi,

This problem has been given me issues for awhile now and I am completely lost. I have a bar chart that uses a specific beast mode.

CASE
WHEN SUM(Loads) * (SUM(carrier pay)/ SUM(Loads)- avg(DATAllinAvgCPL)) > 0 THEN SUM(Loads) * (SUM(carrier pay)/ SUM(Loads)-avg(DATAllinAvgCPL))
Else 0
END

The issues arises on the bar chart if I don't include a series. (This chart is calculating an incorrect number of 41,162.14

However when I add a series it calculates the correct number but the bar chart is not a solid color. I ideally want a solid bar chart. What might be causing this issue?

Answers

• What fields do you have in the filter and sort columns?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• ColinHaze
    Options

ColemenWilson No filters, And sorted by date field.

• If you remove all filters and sorts does it resolve the issue?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• ColinHaze
    Options

Removing all sorts and filters (while removing the series) results in the same problem.

• marcel_luthi
    Options

This means most likely that you don't really want your beast mode to calculate over the raw totals of your dataset (which is doing now), but rather to SUM the cases in which this happens, for that you'll need to turn this into a WINDOW function, so it'll work the same way it does when you have Series, but without the series actually being present in the chart. It might end up looking something like:

SUM(CASE
    WHEN SUM(Loads) * (SUM(carrier pay)/ SUM(Loads)- avg(DATAllinAvgCPL)) > 0 THEN SUM(Loads) * (SUM(carrier pay)/ SUM(Loads)-avg(DATAllinAvgCPL))
    Else 0
    END) OVER (PARTITION BY `Lane`)

Hope this points you in the right direction.

• ColinHaze
    Options

marcel_luthi I thought so too. When I use the formula you provided I get a chart that looks like this.

• ColinHaze
    Options

I dont know if this might be the cause of the issue but the DATALLINAVG is calculated in the ETL using a formula tile. The formula for that is PC-Miler Practical Mileage*(Contract Avg Linehaul Rate+Contract Fuel Surcharge)