Rank and Window: Unbounded following

Options

Hello,

Is there an equivalent way to count rows in a partition with unbounded preceding and unbounded following? I see that "unbounded" is available in the 'preceding' option but not in the 'following'.

I simply want to count all the rows within the specified partition and reflect to the respective rows, but the step 4 isn't optional which I thought should be, Is there any alternative to this in the Magic ETL?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can accomplish by using the group by tile to count the number items in each domain and then join it back to your original dataset and join on domain. The ETL would look something like this.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• If you select unbounded for preceding and enter 0 for following, that will give you a running total by partition. Is that what you are wanting?

• rmbourne
    Options

@MarkSnodgrass, thanks for responding. However, that's not what I'm going for. What I wanted instead is to just count everything within the partition for every row. If this is SQL, I would've simply written it as COUNT(invoice_item_model) OVER (PARTITION BY end_user_domain)

The problem is in Magic ETL, it seems the frame range function is required even if it's not needed, and the unbounded option is not available for the "following" function.

Here's an example of what I wanted to achieve.

invoice_item_model, end_user_domain, COUNT()

A, domain1, 3

B, domain1, 3

C, domain1, 3

D, domain2, 2

E, domain2, 2

F, domain3, 1

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can accomplish by using the group by tile to count the number items in each domain and then join it back to your original dataset and join on domain. The ETL would look something like this.