Can I use variable and beast mode to change number of rows in a bar chart?

Options

I’m trying to create a bar chart that shows actual fee vs estimate fee by role and I need the # of roles to change depending on the variable I’ve chosen (Either ‘Show Top 20’ or ‘Show All’) so I want to create a beast mode that would give me something like:

Case
When Variable= ‘Show Top 20’ then give me 20 roles only
When Variable= ‘Show All then give me all roles

Is this something that can be done in beast mode?

Best Answers

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Juliene_Dolot Hey girly! The ranking first has to be done at the ETL level then you should be able to create the beastmode based off it at the card level.

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could create a rank column using "Rank&Window" in MagicETL. Here's a dataset where I've ranked 4 products by month, then created a beastmode for "Top 3" or "Everyone Else":

Here it is filtered for Top 3:

In a dashboard setting, you could create a slicer with that BeastMode, and filter the slicer for just "Top 20", so it's more of a binary. Clicked on for just the top 20, clicked off for un-filtered.

Once you have the rank column, you could also use it for a Variable:

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Juliene_Dolot Hey girly! The ranking first has to be done at the ETL level then you should be able to create the beastmode based off it at the card level.

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could create a rank column using "Rank&Window" in MagicETL. Here's a dataset where I've ranked 4 products by month, then created a beastmode for "Top 3" or "Everyone Else":

Here it is filtered for Top 3:

In a dashboard setting, you could create a slicer with that BeastMode, and filter the slicer for just "Top 20", so it's more of a binary. Clicked on for just the top 20, clicked off for un-filtered.

Once you have the rank column, you could also use it for a Variable:

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

• Juliene_Dolot
    Options

Thank you both so much! And really appreciate the detailed response with example @DavidChurchman !