How do I create a checkbox variable

Options

This seems simple, but I haven't found any documentation on how to build and use a checkbox variable.

Right now I am using the radio dial variable where I can always select one variable at a time.

For example I can check 'Ramped Headcount' and get the number of ramped headcount, then I can switch to 'Partially Ramped Headcount' and get the number of partially ramped headcount.
I would like to build a checkbox variable where I would be able to check 'Ramped Headcount' as well as 'Partially Ramped Headcount' to get to total of both.

This seems easy and I may be missing something, but unfortunately the ramped and unramped headcount variables come from different columns in the dataset, so I can't just use a simple filter.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Currently Variables only support storing a single value so checkboxes are not an option for variables. I'd recommend adding this to the idea exchange to have variables support multiple values.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Ellier You'll likely need unpivot your data so that "Ramped Headcount" and "Partially Ramped Headcount" are on separate rows. Then you should be able to use a simple quick filter/slicer instead of a variable

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Currently Variables only support storing a single value so checkboxes are not an option for variables. I'd recommend adding this to the idea exchange to have variables support multiple values.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Ellier You'll likely need unpivot your data so that "Ramped Headcount" and "Partially Ramped Headcount" are on separate rows. Then you should be able to use a simple quick filter/slicer instead of a variable

• Ellier
    Options

@MichelleH @GrantSmith thanks for your input!
    I did unpivot my data to try to make it work, however now when I use a simple quick filter, it filters the whole table but I would like to just filter the headcount column, like I would be able to with the variable.
    Is there a way to apply quick filters to just one column?