Any way to highlight current date on a line chart?

Options

Ideally, I'd like to have a vertical line to highlight the current date on a line chart that includes past and future dates.

Alternatively, a symbol/arrow/circle on the line highlighting the current date would work.

I've tried Trellis Categories with no luck. I also don't seem to have the Properties > General > Current Date option that others have mentioned in their charts.

Is there any way to highlight the current date on a line chart? (similar to my poorly drawn green line :)

Thank you so much in advance! New to Domo. This is my first forum post.

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo doesn't have a way to display a vertical line as you're wanting.

You could utilize a beast mode to check to see if it's today, if it is return the value.

CASE WHEN `dt` = CURDATE() THEN `random_number` END

You can utilize a symbol line to display your values and then have Today being displayed on top of it like this:

Make sure you have your Today beast mode listed first so it will display on top.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have data for every day of the year, you could utilize the data label settings and the tooltip to make a label appear on the current date.

First, create a beast mode that looks like this:

CASE WHEN datefield = CURRENT_DATE() THEN datefield END

Drag this beast mode into the Tooltip Field 1.

In the Chart Properties, go to Data Label Settings and in the Text, add Tooltip Field 1.

The result will look something like this as long as you have data for the current date. (I didn't have the right dataset to work with, so I made it show 10/1/2023).

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo doesn't have a way to display a vertical line as you're wanting.

You could utilize a beast mode to check to see if it's today, if it is return the value.

CASE WHEN `dt` = CURDATE() THEN `random_number` END

You can utilize a symbol line to display your values and then have Today being displayed on top of it like this:

Make sure you have your Today beast mode listed first so it will display on top.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have data for every day of the year, you could utilize the data label settings and the tooltip to make a label appear on the current date.

First, create a beast mode that looks like this:

CASE WHEN datefield = CURRENT_DATE() THEN datefield END

Drag this beast mode into the Tooltip Field 1.

In the Chart Properties, go to Data Label Settings and in the Text, add Tooltip Field 1.

The result will look something like this as long as you have data for the current date. (I didn't have the right dataset to work with, so I made it show 10/1/2023).

• Another option is to make it look like the line changes color when it goes past the current date by creating two lines. I have outlined how to do it in this video. You can ignore the part about rolling averages and just focus on how I develop two lines.

• Tung
    Options

@GrantSmith Thank you for taking the time to reply to my first forum entry!!! It was very encouraging to hear back from the community and learn from your experience! This is a great solution using the symbol line chart that I hadn't thought of! Thank you!

Btw, I'm a minimalist to a fault. Do you happen to know if there's a way to hide all symbols other than the circle representing "today" in your mockup example?

• Tung
    Options

@MarkSnodgrass Wanted to say thank you personally for taking the time to help me learn and get ramped up on Domo. I've never used the ToolTips feature before, and this is a CLEVER way to highlight the current date! I love this!

Thank you for being active in the community. It's really encouraging to us new to Domo!

• GrantSmith
    Options

@Tung

Currently there isn't an option to hide the others. As you can see there's a lot of great ideas coming from the community and more than one way to do something within Domo. Welcome to the forums!

• Tung
    Options

@GrantSmith Thank you again! I'm enjoying the learning process, and I'm especially encouraged by this active Domo community!!