Drill Path - working in Edit Drill path, not working in pages

Options

Created a drill path off a Single Value Card

Goal: to start with Single Value Card and drill 2 levels to show more details in bar graphs.

Working: each card working while building them and going back through edit drill pathway

No working: when I go to dashboard and start from the Single Value Card and drill to 1st level bar graphs; can't get to 2nd level at all.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Best Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Laura_M1 I don't think you need to start again from scratch, but I would at least start by removing all the filters from the drill path. Since drill filters are inherited from the layers above it, I find that it's easiest to only add filters to the top layer whenever possible to avoid accidentally excluding data when I drill.

For example, if I filter the top card to Country = USA then all the drill layers below it will also be filtered to USA, even if there is no Country filter specifically added to the drill layer. The "No Data in Filtered Range" message can occur if the top card is filtered to Country = USA and the drill is filtered to Country = Canada, because the drill will be looking for rows where the country is both USA and Canada at the same time.

It's also important to consider that drills are also filtered by the dimension selected in the previous layers (i.e. clicking on the bar labeled "West" in a chart graphed by Region will only show data where Region = West in the drill). As far as I'm aware, starting from a Single Value card should not matter because it is not grouped by any particular dimension, so it should return all rows when drilling. Conflicting filters like I described above are the more likely culprit but the reason the drill appears to be working when editing the drill path is because the preview does not take upstream filters into account.

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Laura_M1 This is likely related to the same conflicting filters issue from before, and there are no Sales Locations left in the filtered data. As a side note, you don't have to Select All before toggling "Display as Quick Filter" - in fact I recommend you don't. In this case Select All does not include every possible Store Location, but it's actually including all Store Locations that are currently visible.

For example, if I only have sales this month for stores A, B, & C so far then the Sales Location filter on a month to date card will only show checkboxes for Store A, Store B, and Store C. If I choose Select All on the Quick Filter that means I will only see data for those three stores, meaning if Store D makes a sales tomorrow I will not be able to see it.

If you've been clicking Select All on all your quick filters then it's possible that you've got some data being excluded, which may also be contributing to data being excluded unexpectedly.

Answers

• It sounds like you already do, but just to double check, do you have this configured for your page:

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Laura_M1
    Options

I do already have the Drill in place set. Thank you for double checking!

• MichelleH
    Options

@Laura_M1 Is the second level detail you're trying to see defined as a drill layer in Analyzer or the default "Data" view? If it's the latter, then drilling to it is only an option on from the card details view and not from the dashboard. In that case I suggest adding a Table chart drill layer so that it is visible when drilling from the dashboard

• Laura_M1
    Options

@MichelleH

I created the drill paths off the original single card view

I started by:
    -Going to the dashboard

-Clicked on the wrench to take me to "edit drill path"

-Built drill path cards from there

I did amend those bar charts that I wanted to use to tables and it's still not working. Where would I locate defining a drill layer in Analyzer?

I have been building drill paths for the last couple of weeks utilizing the same methodology and each time it has worked perfectly; albeit, only using tables. Is it not possible to use charts?

Thank you!

• MichelleH
    Options

@Laura_M1 What you are describing should work regardless of whether you are using charts or tables. When you try to drill on that particular card, does it show you a particular message or does it simply not react at all?

• Laura_M1
    Options

@MichelleH The error message that appears is "No data in filtered range".

• MichelleH
    Options

@Laura_M1 I see. That means that it is drilling, but the filters applied make it so no data is returned. Do you have any filters set on your final drill that are not on your previous layers?

• Laura_M1
    Options

Thank you. I added filters as I built the drill down and not on the 1st card

However, I've added the filters to the 1st card that I have on the 2nd card and now the 1st card is saying "no data in filtered range" and it's not showing the filter options that are showing in the 2nd card.

Would starting the whole drill path over with all filters needed down the drill path work better; or not try to start off a single value card?

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Laura_M1 I don't think you need to start again from scratch, but I would at least start by removing all the filters from the drill path. Since drill filters are inherited from the layers above it, I find that it's easiest to only add filters to the top layer whenever possible to avoid accidentally excluding data when I drill.

For example, if I filter the top card to Country = USA then all the drill layers below it will also be filtered to USA, even if there is no Country filter specifically added to the drill layer. The "No Data in Filtered Range" message can occur if the top card is filtered to Country = USA and the drill is filtered to Country = Canada, because the drill will be looking for rows where the country is both USA and Canada at the same time.

It's also important to consider that drills are also filtered by the dimension selected in the previous layers (i.e. clicking on the bar labeled "West" in a chart graphed by Region will only show data where Region = West in the drill). As far as I'm aware, starting from a Single Value card should not matter because it is not grouped by any particular dimension, so it should return all rows when drilling. Conflicting filters like I described above are the more likely culprit but the reason the drill appears to be working when editing the drill path is because the preview does not take upstream filters into account.

• Laura_M1
    Options

@MichelleH - thank you so much for your time and energy!!

On last question…for now!

When I choose my filters, for example (by store location) it only works part of the time. It is set up as a dimension, I drag and drop into filters and sometimes I'm able to "select all" and toggle to display as "Quick Filter" and store names will appear and sometimes store names won't appear. This happens with both existing and new cards, with multiple dimensions. Any thoughts as to why that happens?

• MichelleH
    Options

@Laura_M1 Is this what you see when it doesn't give the option to select all? If so, you should be able to change the drop-down from "Match values" to "Selection" to give you the checkboxes:

• Laura_M1
    Options

This is the view I see

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Laura_M1 This is likely related to the same conflicting filters issue from before, and there are no Sales Locations left in the filtered data. As a side note, you don't have to Select All before toggling "Display as Quick Filter" - in fact I recommend you don't. In this case Select All does not include every possible Store Location, but it's actually including all Store Locations that are currently visible.

For example, if I only have sales this month for stores A, B, & C so far then the Sales Location filter on a month to date card will only show checkboxes for Store A, Store B, and Store C. If I choose Select All on the Quick Filter that means I will only see data for those three stores, meaning if Store D makes a sales tomorrow I will not be able to see it.

If you've been clicking Select All on all your quick filters then it's possible that you've got some data being excluded, which may also be contributing to data being excluded unexpectedly.

• Laura_M1
    Options

Good Morning,

MichelleH - thank you again for all your help last week!

I'm building another drill path and have built the first card with all the information needed and have chosen my time frame:

However, when I go to the 2nd level of the card, the date range shows:

and I am unable to make the 2nd card ( or anythere after) match the first with the desired time frame of:
    Date Range-"Yesterday" & Date range Field "Order date".

My question is why does the 2nd card default to all time and not let me choose the data to match the first or automatically adopt the 1st cards parameters?

Thank you

Laura

• MichelleH
    Options

@Laura_M1 The drill does not give you the option the change the date range because it will automatically inherit the date range of the layer above it. So if you have the top level set to the date field and range that you want, you do not have to do anything on the drill to match it.

• Laura_M1
    Options

Thank you! I thought that was how it worked based on your notes last week.

I think I figured out the tripping point. While in analyzer, when I create the 2nd drill path, it did not show that the 2nd card inherited the date range automatically while working on it and in my revenue & GP jumped 156x in some categories. However, when I saved the 2nd card, went back to the dashboard and then drilled in from the dashboard, the 2nd card worked and showed the timeframe and the revenue & GP were accurate.

So my confusion was not seeing the data presented in the same way while working in the card in analyzer as it appears and functions from the dashboard.

Thank you again and I hope you had a great weekend @MichelleH