Sorting Beast mode

Options

Hello! I'm trying to sort my beast mode where I'm normalizing my data to trend performance by the first month it's published and trending for a year since all my rows of data will have different dates in which they are published. The issue I'm running into is I can't sort the beast mode in order of Month 1, Month 2, etc. But it keeps sorting by Month 1, Month 10, Month 11, Month 12, Month 2, etc. Here is a snippet of the beast mode language and below is a screen shot of the visual. Thanks in advance for any help!

when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >0 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=29 then '1 Month'
when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >29 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=59 then '2 Months'

Best Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Add a new beastmode to put into your sorting:

when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >0 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=29 then 1
    when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >29 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=59 then 2

etc…

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@cmarino The reason it's sorting like that is because the beast mode is being sorted as text and not a number. You could either add a leading 0 to your labels (i.e. 01 Month, 02 Month, etc.) or create a second beast mode with a formula of DATEDIFF(date,published_date) to use as your sort field.

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Add a new beastmode to put into your sorting:

when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >0 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=29 then 1
    when DATEDIFF(date,published_date) >29 and DATEDIFF(date,published_date) <=59 then 2

etc…

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@cmarino The reason it's sorting like that is because the beast mode is being sorted as text and not a number. You could either add a leading 0 to your labels (i.e. 01 Month, 02 Month, etc.) or create a second beast mode with a formula of DATEDIFF(date,published_date) to use as your sort field.

• cmarino
    Options

Thank you MichelleH and Colemenwilson! I wanted to keep the 'month' reference in the naming so adding the '0' before the numbers worked great. Thanks for the advice!