Compare two tables and find the difference

Options

Im trying to move some of our reporting we do onto Domo. One of the things we do is build scenarios and need to compare them to what's happening currently. In excel we have this so the top table shows current data with locations by hour with a number filled in for the value. we then have a scenario table underneath this with the same data points, then below is a third table with the difference. wondering what would be the best way to set this up in demo so both the current and scenario can be changed, as different days of the weeks would have different values and scenarios made

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

To replicate what you are doing in excel, you could keep the source data in excel for any or all of the tables, connect them to Domo using the OneDrive for Business Connector, upload them using the file upload connector, use the Email connector to have the files sent by someone to Domo via email, setup SFTP, or use the Domo webforms connector to enter the values directly in a spreadsheet in Domo.

Comparing the values could be done in single or multiple table cards on a dashboard.

Additionally, using variables you could test different what if scenarios in realtime on the dashboard.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

To replicate what you are doing in excel, you could keep the source data in excel for any or all of the tables, connect them to Domo using the OneDrive for Business Connector, upload them using the file upload connector, use the Email connector to have the files sent by someone to Domo via email, setup SFTP, or use the Domo webforms connector to enter the values directly in a spreadsheet in Domo.

Comparing the values could be done in single or multiple table cards on a dashboard.

Additionally, using variables you could test different what if scenarios in realtime on the dashboard.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• What would be the best way to filter for the two results i want in the table if i have say 100 scenarios in my data, once again, one table for one scenario, anther table for one other scenario and then the last table with the difference between them

• DavidChurchman
    Options

In MagicETL, you could do outer joins between your actuals and scenarios. If you want all scenarios available for both the first and second filter, then you could join the scenarios twice, renaming the columns on the join to distinguish. So basically Actuals x Scenarios copy 1 x Scenarios copy 2. Then you could do all the math for difference between scenarios in a formula tile.

This is a wildly simplified version of what your data might look like; each column stands in for some group of columns you want to display in your tables. This structure would allow you to filter your multiple scenarios and see the differences in results. You could view them all in one table, or split between 3 tables, with filters that apply to all three tables.

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.