Sharing card with a user will automatically grant the user access to the dataset?

Options

guys, not sure if I am wrong or a purely coincidence.

I am the DOMO admin of our company and was reviewing the DOMO dataset access yesterday.

I saw some random users having access to several datasets which I had never shared with them.

Then I look at the user access on the cards which are powered by these datasets, they had the same user accesses.

So my question is, would sharing card with users automatically grant the user access to the dataset?

Thanks

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

That is correct. You can still control: Can Share, Can Edit and Co-Owner levels of access.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

That is correct. You can still control: Can Share, Can Edit and Co-Owner levels of access.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• user070845
    Options

Thanks for your answer.

Ultimately, I do not want business users to have access to the dataset, all they need is to view the card.

Would this mean after sharing the card with users, I need to remove their access to dataset?

Would they still have access to the card?

• JasonAltenburg
    Options

Hi @user070845,

I can't find it explicitly stated in the Domo Documentation, but If the user can view the card, they will get access to the dataset that powers that card. PDP is the way to go when limiting access to the different records in your dataset if this is sensitive data.

You may want to consider giving folks that shouldn't have access to datasets in general a different role. For example, Participant users can see cards and dashboards but cannot access datasets: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043438953?language=en_US

Here is what the view of a card in Domo looks like for a Particpant user, note there is no "Data" icon at the top of the page.

And when I click on the "Salesforce" link to the dataset here is what I get: