Data exploration beyond what users have access to

Options

We are practicing the principle of least privilege and only sharing data to users if it is needed for their role/department. However, we would like users to have the ability to see what other datasets exist in case there is data relevant to them.

I used domostats/domogov datasets to create a table card that is somewhat searchable using the "contains" quick filters. The last step is I want a way for users to easily request access to the data. When someone without access to a dataset follows a link to the dataset there is no button to request access like there is with cards and pages. The best solution I have now is making users copy the dataset ID or link and paste it into a ticket request.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to make this more simple for end users?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do you want users to instantly gain access or should it go through a review? Should the request come through Buzz or via another option?

A quick and dirty option is to use the mailto protocol in an HTML hyperlink where you can specify to, subject and message body so you can send it to an automated email box:

<a href="mailto:email@example.com?cc=secondemail@example.com, anotheremail@example.com, &bcc=lastemail@example.com&subject=Mail from our Website&body=Some body text here">Send Email</a>

You can also use the CONCAT to dynamically include the dataset ID in the subject or body depending on your use case.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do you want users to instantly gain access or should it go through a review? Should the request come through Buzz or via another option?

A quick and dirty option is to use the mailto protocol in an HTML hyperlink where you can specify to, subject and message body so you can send it to an automated email box:

<a href="mailto:email@example.com?cc=secondemail@example.com, anotheremail@example.com, &bcc=lastemail@example.com&subject=Mail from our Website&body=Some body text here">Send Email</a>

You can also use the CONCAT to dynamically include the dataset ID in the subject or body depending on your use case.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Options

You might also consider using the Form and Dataset Brick where you can have the users fill out a form and submit the data. You should be able to make a dropdown list of datasets so that the users don't have to locate the datasetid. You can then build cards off of the submitted data to manage the requests.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • ColemenWilson
    Options

Both great ideas! I ended up modifying Grant's code (using chatGPT) and using an email that creates a ticket in our ticketing system. That way for an end user it is 2 clicks: click the link in the table card and click send in the email client.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above