How to calculate a % of line value from the grand total inside a table in domo card

Utz
Utz Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

I am trying to find the percentage of the cost of sales from the total cost of sales. I have used the following calculation in beast mode.

(`Cost of Sales` / (SUM(`Cost of Sales`))

However, this calculation is not returning accurate values the lower cost of sales values have a higher percentage than the higher cost of sales values along with this calculation I have other measures/beast mode calculations from my data set inside my table and have changed their aggregation to a sum not sure if that would affect it but will attach a screenshot.

Best Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Utz Are you trying to calculate the percentage based on the grand total cost or the total of each "Seasonal" value?

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Utz That makes sense. The reason your formula is not returning as expected is because it's only calculating using the total cost per seasonal value, not the grand total. You will need use a window function or a fixed function in your denominator in order to include rows for all seasonal values. For example:

sum(`Cost of Sales`)/sum(sum(`Cost of Sales`) fixed ())

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Utz Are you trying to calculate the percentage based on the grand total cost or the total of each "Seasonal" value?

• Utz
    Utz Member

Hi, Michelle, I am trying to sum everything up for seasonal so I don't have multiple lines of the same values for seasonal field and for those measures, I have a cost of sales field and I want to make a calculation that will give me the percentage of the cost of sales of off the grand total for the cost of sales.

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Utz That makes sense. The reason your formula is not returning as expected is because it's only calculating using the total cost per seasonal value, not the grand total. You will need use a window function or a fixed function in your denominator in order to include rows for all seasonal values. For example:

sum(`Cost of Sales`)/sum(sum(`Cost of Sales`) fixed ())

• Utz
    Utz Member

Thank you so much Michelle that did the trick appreciate your insight and the quick responses!