I'm looking to write a Beast Mode to extract hashtag strings from social media posts

Options
Shwane
Shwane Member
edited March 2023 in Beast Mode
Hello, I want to write a beast mode to use as a card filter to filter by hashtag strings in posts. Can you write a beast mode to extract all the strings following the # symbol?

"Mmmm #yummy #donut at #CZ"

I want to filter the card by every post that contains either yummy, donut, or cz.

Thanks!

Answers

• RobSomers
    Options

@Shwane You can use CASE WHEN and LIKE to accomplish this (assuming it's just the three things you're looking for:

case when 'post' like '%#yummy%' or 'post' like '%#donut%' or 'post' like '%#CZ%' then 'Yummy/Donut/CZ'

else 'Other' end

If you have a bunch more tags that you would need to extract, then it gets a bit more complex.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**

**Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

• Shwane
    Options

Thanks, Rob, but I do have many more Posts to extract unfortunately. I've been trying to use substrings with no luck. So far, my best bet seemed to be using regex in Magic ETL.

• @Shwane when your string has an unknown amount of phrases you are looking for, you are going to need to use Magic ETL to break it up. I created a video on how to do this. In my case, I am looking for spaces, so you will need to change that and look for the hashtag, potentially.

Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOTfUnOUVU

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Shwane
    Options

Thanks, Mark! I'll check out the video today and apply it to my case. I've been trying to use RegEx within Magic ETL and was able to obtain the first hashtag from a post but not the ones after the first.