Text message when domo workbench job fails

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on if its possible to receive a text message on my phone when a workbench job fails?

I get emails when jobs fail, but I don't keep Outlook notifications on my phone because my phone would just ding all day long.

Too many times on a Monday morning I've discovered a job has been failing since Friday night.

We don't have Slack or Write back

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

One possible solution would be to leverage the fact that you can send a text message via e-mail. See this article here to know how to build the address for your cellular provider.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/

You would also need to create a new user in Domo that has that e-mail address. You could create it as a social user so it doesn't count against your user license count if that is a concern. Once that user is created, you can go to the notifications tab on your job in Workbench and select that user.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• cthtcc
    cthtcc Member
    edited June 2022

Hi @Jbrorby That's a great question. I don't know about text messages but what about setting an alert and adding Domo to your mobile device? That way you'd get instant notifications without having to wade through your inbox.

• You can't send a text directly from Workbench however there may be a few different workarounds.

Major carriers in the US may offer the ability to email a specific email address to then send a text message. This article may be helpful: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-email-to-a-phone-text-message

Alternatively you could add an alert to your dataset that runs on a schedule to filter out some date field to see if it has data within the last X amount of time and send an alert if there are no records found

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

One possible solution would be to leverage the fact that you can send a text message via e-mail. See this article here to know how to build the address for your cellular provider.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-send-a-text-from-your-email-account/

You would also need to create a new user in Domo that has that e-mail address. You could create it as a social user so it doesn't count against your user license count if that is a concern. Once that user is created, you can go to the notifications tab on your job in Workbench and select that user.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Good feedback. The reason I had tried to avoid the alert method is it is natural for pieces to not be updated in the database for 3-5 hours at times of the day. But I suppose I can set the alert to go off when a piece hasn't been updated in 12 hours. Ideally I'd like to catch the fail ASAP. But this will at least allow me to know if something has not run for a whole day.

The articles were helpful and worked when I tested, except our Domo is set up with active directory and also requires a @[our company] domain for users.

The final thing I did was just set up my email to forward the email to text message me, but our company doesn't allow automatic email forwards to emails outside of our organization, so I emailed IT to see if they can make an exception

But this was helpful, thanks