SubTotal Category Remaining Amount: How to calculate difference between two columns

How to display the value of "Remaining Amount' in subtotal category:

I have the following scenario, using a Pivot table Displaying the budget amount and actual amount along with remaining amount.

for every subcategory I do not want to display remaining amount if either value budget or Actual value is 0.

However I will still like to display a value for remaining amount if either the Budget or Actual value exist (My understanding is that I the value rolls up and adds to display subtotal values).

Below is the formula's I used to calculate Remaining Amount in BeastMode calculation.

CASE

when 

sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 1 then `Amount` else 0 end) =0

or

sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 0 then `Amount` else 0 end) =0

then 0

else

sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 1 then `Amount` else 0 end)

-

sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 0 then `Amount` else 0 end)

end

Thank you

~Monika

Answers

• rahul93
    rahul93 Contributor

Hi,

Instead of 0 in your code can you put '' in the beast mode. So if budget or actual value is 0 then '' .

Does that give you what you need?

Thanks

• Hi @msharma

Because the way pivot tables behave and the fact that subtotals are an all or nothing setting what you're looking to do isn't possible at this time.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • @msharma ,

@rahul93 is partially correct, if you put a '' in your ELSE clause you will convert your beastmode into a string. It therefore wouldn't format or behave like a number after that point. probably not desireable.

To get 'nothing' as Rahul is recommending, you can however use ELSE NULL

sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 1 then `Amount` else null end) 
    -- or
    sum(case when `Transaction_Type` = 1 then `Amount` end) =0

Now that said you have to be careful with null

if you take

5 - NULL

the result witll be NULL

@GrantSmith talks about this at the IDEAS Exchange Conference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8OLpsAk4M&list=PLUy_qbtzH0S6-5oDbx3BsIv2Xk-JxJxWi&index=6

SOLUTION

test if your amounts net to 0 if so replace with null

case 
    when sum(case when ... then amount else 0 end) - sum(case when ... then budget else 0 end) = 0 then null 
    else sum(case when ... then amount else 0 end) - sum(case when ... then budget else 0 end)
    end

THAT SAID. WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR IS LOGICALLY INAPPROPRIATE

Null and 0 are not the same thing.

If i had 5 dollars and spent 5 dollars i have zero dollars left.

That's different from I spent nothing and i had no budget therefore the value should be null.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • rahul93
    rahul93 Contributor

@jaeW_at_Onyx

Hi, using a '' doesn't convert the field into a string field. I just tested it and it works as a numeric field. See screenshots

Thanks