Changing field names

Is there a way to change the naming of a field output.  Our organization names are long and take up a lot of space on a chart.  I would like to shorten the names so they appear cleaner on the chart.  Can this be done in beast mode and can you give me an example.

Example: Mount Carmel Health System change to MCHS

I would need to do this with about 20 organization names

Thank you

Comments

• Hi @user082291 

From what I'm understanding you're asking about renaming the column / field name and not the values in the field itself?

You can do this several ways, the first is when editing a card you can select the field displayed in the x-axis/y-axis/series etc section on top of the graph and put a value into the Data Label field. You'd have to do this for all cards though.

Another option would be to utilize a Select Column tile and a Magic ETL DataFlow to rename the columns.

A third option (if you have access to the beta) is to utilize a DataView and rename the columns in the view itself which would update automatically when the underlying dataset is run which is likely the best option if you have access.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Do you want to rename columns or do you want to rename the VALUES in the column?

I think @GrantSmith  is describing renaming columns and what you actually want to do is remap values.

If you're after the later,

You can build a beast mode with a CASE statement

CASE when `Company Name` = CompanyLongName' then 'A'

when `Company Name` = CompanyLongNameB' then 'B'

ELSE `Company Name`

END

What I would do is actually create a Webform with two columns

CompanyLongName, CompanyShortName

then JOIN the webform to my data using a FUSION or a DataSet View (it's a beta feature talk to your CSM) 

then build a beastmode

IFNULL(CompanyShortName,CompanyLongName)

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.