Issue converting string to number in beast mode

I've seen some others posts about this and have gotten this to work on other cards but I'm having an issue converting a string to a number on this card. I've tried `Field_name`*1 and I've tried CAST(`Field_Name` AS DECIMAL(10,2)) but I get back a 0 or null response in the newly created column. I've also tried a CASE statement to exclude null or blank fields. Is there any way to do this?

Original column: Credit_Final

New Column: Credit Final (or whatever)

1.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• rahul93
    rahul93 Contributor
    Answer ✓

the column you want to convert to a numeric/decimal column contains the character '$' and doing this wont be possible unless you remove the character. Also, I have never used a cast function in a beast mode and i dont believe it exists. 

To replace the '$' character you can use the replace function and then multiply it by 1, you can also add a condition for null.

Eg: ifnull(REPLACE(`field_name`,'$',''),0) * 1

However, I would advise you to do this conversion in the dataflow or workbench when you are loading the dataset.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Answers

• rahul93
    rahul93 Contributor
    Answer ✓

the column you want to convert to a numeric/decimal column contains the character '$' and doing this wont be possible unless you remove the character. Also, I have never used a cast function in a beast mode and i dont believe it exists. 

To replace the '$' character you can use the replace function and then multiply it by 1, you can also add a condition for null.

Eg: ifnull(REPLACE(`field_name`,'$',''),0) * 1

However, I would advise you to do this conversion in the dataflow or workbench when you are loading the dataset.

Let me know if you have any questions.