Budget Limit Line w/ Stacked Bar chart?

Hey all,

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.37.22 PM.png

I have a chart like the above right now and have some questions:

Is the best way to implement a Budget Limit line through a Beast Mode like this? I was initially thinking of using the 'Goal' function in the Y-Axis but I don't want it to say 'Goal' since this isn't a goal but rather a way for people to see if they're over or under budget. 

Second, without the Budget Line, the AMOUNT column is separated out into their appropriate Categories series, but with the Budget Line, that isn't happening. Is the only solution to this to create a different Beast Mode for every single Category? This would be extremely tedious and wondering if there's a better solution.

Thanks!

Comments

• First, I agree with the way you've setup your Budget Limit BeastMode. I don't really think there's another option that works as well.

For the second piece, unfortunately  you'll have to break the amount up into separate categories and put those in the Series section. It would be nice if we could add a Dimension to the end to split the values but it won't work at this point. 

Best of luck,
    ValiantSpur

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• Can you share a bit of your data set?  Would like to play with different chart types, etc. to see if I can find a way to do this.  Also, is the Budget Limit calculated?  Or is it a static number?

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • I've attached a very small slice of data here. Let me know if this works.

The Budget Limit will be both static and change over quarters for 2 different views I'm looking for. At an individual level it will be static, but for department heads the number will change every quarter.

For the static one my Beast Mode is simply AVG(10000), as an example.

Not sure how to approach a dynamic Budget Limit that changes every quarter, ie, if I'm looking historically, then I'd want the same Budget Limit for that quarter, but this quarter's limit may be different. I was thinking of doing something like

(CASE WHEN `date` BETWEEN (1/1/2001-3/31/2001) then AVG(10000)

WHEN `date` BETWEEN (4/1/2001-6/31/2001) then AVG(15000).....etc.

or something to that effect. If you have a better idea I would appreciate it! 

Thank you!

• Try using the Scale Marker Property with the Stacked bar graph instead of a line for the Budget Limit1.png

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman