Negative numbers (trending upward for positive direction, vice-versa for negatives??)

John-Peddle
John-Peddle Contributor

Not sure if this would be considered the same as/similar to this inquiry from a few years ago (https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Card-Building/How-do-I-add-a-trend-line/m-p/6573#M344) but we haven't been able to locate a Regression Line section in chart properties within Analyzer to try that (deprecated?).

What we're looking to do is "reverse" the positive/negative progression of the line value scale - instead of trending in a downward direction as the number increases or upward when it decreases, we'd like it to trend opposite depending on what's happening.

EXAMPLE: between March 2018 and April 2018, it went from $41k to 65k and the line trended downward but we'd like it to go in the other direction - then, between April 2018 and the current month (May 2018), it goes from $65k to $15k but that's actually a negative direction, so we'd like it to trend downward instead of up. In both instances, they are negative numbers so we want that aspect to remain the same, just have them trend in the opposite direction.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.26.19 AM.png

Does that make sense?

Best Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be to just remove the negative number.  Rather than showing -65k, have it show 65k.  The "Negative" can be assumed based on the title of the field.  This would get tricky when you have an actual positive value because it would then show negative.  

However, that is the only way that I can think to flip the direction of the line.  You could modify the currencty prefix setting to "-$" to possibly reduce the confusion.1.jpg

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • John-Peddle
    John-Peddle Contributor
    Answer ✓

Thanks, @ST_-Superman-_, that was a consideration but the manager requesting this wanted to keep it as negative. I'm hopeful that changing the Min/Max in Value Scale (Line) will provide what they want. As always, appreciate the quick response!

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.43.31 AM.png

Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be to just remove the negative number.  Rather than showing -65k, have it show 65k.  The "Negative" can be assumed based on the title of the field.  This would get tricky when you have an actual positive value because it would then show negative.  

However, that is the only way that I can think to flip the direction of the line.  You could modify the currencty prefix setting to "-$" to possibly reduce the confusion.1.jpg

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • John-Peddle
    John-Peddle Contributor
    Please disregard, found that changing the Value Scale Lines (i.e. reverse) would provide what we're looking for. Sorry for not playing around with that more before posting!
  • John-Peddle
    John-Peddle Contributor
    Answer ✓

Thanks, @ST_-Superman-_, that was a consideration but the manager requesting this wanted to keep it as negative. I'm hopeful that changing the Min/Max in Value Scale (Line) will provide what they want. As always, appreciate the quick response!

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.43.31 AM.png

This discussion has been closed.