how to trigger a data source update externally?

Hi,

We have a set of jobs that run daily and create the data we use in domo.  The data source connectors are configured to periodically load the new data into domo based on our best guess of when the data will be available most of thge time.  However, we cannot predict with certainty when the data will be ready.

Sometimes a job takes longer than normal, or fails and needs to be re-run.  In such cases the update runs but there is no new data.  The slow job or re-run finishes and unless we do a manual refresh we need to wait for the next days scheduled update before our cards are updated. In that case our cards are out of date for a day.

Other times a job finishes sooner than normal and we would like to update immediately rather than waiting for the scheduled refresh.

I've been through the various APIs and I've searched this forum but I'm not seeing a way to trigger an update externally.  Ideally we would have a final step in our workflow that makes an API request to domo and triggers updates for the various data sources.

Thanks for any pointers,

David

Comments

• Chips
    Chips Domo Employee

David, 

Are you using a connector that doesn't allow for more frequent updates? We have found the Advanced Scheduling to be very helpful but I am guessing you aren't able to do that here for some reason (bc that would be the quickest/easiest way to solve it!).

cg

Domo Consultant

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Chips
    Chips Domo Employee

Also, looks like someone was recently asking this same question on a different thread.

https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Domo-Best-Practices/how-to-trigger-a-data-source-update-externally/m-p/25621#M187

Domo Consultant

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • We could do more frequest updates but that isn't appealing due to the extra load on the system (our servers as well as domo's) such a configuration would add.  If we switched to hourly updates then 23 of 24 updates would do nothing 99% of the time.

This discussion has been closed.