Beast mode for custom year

I would like to create a custom year starting August 15th and ending August 14th. 

We work with schools and the August 15th date is typically week and day 1 for the "School Year"

Is there a way I can take the date a case was created and convert it to be the day/week of the School Year?

Tagged:

Comments

• Billobi
    Billobi Contributor

I'm not a big fan of hard coding in static logic to set attributes on given date ranges, as it inserts overhead to maintain and you have to continually apply it forward over time.  That said, I have had to do it before.  Doing it in ETL is the most cumbersome way to apply attributes to classify custom date ranges.  You could do beast modes, it would be easier than ETL to update for future years but still not a fun way to do it.  

Unless someone suggests a more automated fashion that could change date function parameters to use in beasts, I'd go for a csv upload or webform.  Then you could join those date attributes against any dataset with dates, and it would be somewhat easy to update the table via copy/paste/filldown to do it again next school year.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's easy to understand (if you want to train someone else to own it going forward) and allows you to make things as custom as desired each year.

You'd have a row for each day if you needed it down to that granularity.  Maybe add SchoolWeek if that's valuable to you.

Date           SchoolDay    SchoolWeek    SchoolYear

8/15/18             1                   1                     2018

8/16/18             2                   1                     2018

9/28/18            44                  7                      2018

Then in your ETLs just join this on the date field of your other datasets and you'd have SchoolDay/SchoolWeek as an available field to do things with on your cards.

• I'd do something like @Billobi recommends.  Alternatively, consider reaching out to Domo and they might be able to set you up with a custom fiscal calender.  Lots of customers have done this.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks, We are meeting with them in a few weeks and will as them what the best solution would be...

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor

A Fiscal Calendar is always the best, but if you need something on the meanwhile you can do the following:

1. Create a spreadsheet/dataset with two columns: Date and corresponding School Year.
    2. Join them using ETL.

Now you will have School Year Column

You will probably need the same spreadsheet for the fiscal calendar anyways.