My company is switching our email addresses - what's the best practice for updating Domo logins?

Options

I do not want to force a new account creation. Does simply uploading the bulk import user template with updated email addresses solve for this? Again, I do not want to force all my users to recreate an account and want each user to be able to keep their existing settings.

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You can do a bulk import to update the emails. Just download the current user data as shown below. MAKE SURE to download a new version. You can see that next to the button shown below there is another option with a date of the last bulk export. If you accidentally used that and that data was out of date you could be in trouble:

Then do a bulk upload with "Add new people and edit existing user profiles" checked:

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You can do a bulk import to update the emails. Just download the current user data as shown below. MAKE SURE to download a new version. You can see that next to the button shown below there is another option with a date of the last bulk export. If you accidentally used that and that data was out of date you could be in trouble:

Then do a bulk upload with "Add new people and edit existing user profiles" checked:

• davidwong
    Options

Hi Colemen. Does DOMO use the current email addresses for each account as the identifier? My worry is that re-uploading new emails will delete and re-create users. I do not want to interrupt our current users existing settings/preferences.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

That is a good question, our instance uses employee id's so I haven't had to worry about that before. I would definitely test with a small group of test users first.

• davidwong
    Options

Thanks for the response Colemen. Do you know where I can verify what my instance uses as the identifier?

• trafalger
    trafalger Coach
    edited October 2023
    Options

When I had clients change email addresses, it did make them new users. From the SSO attribute section under email it says this:

"The user's email address. Domo uses this value as the unique identifier for the person's account, so any value included for Email will overwrite the SAML Subject value in the SAML assertion. Domo also uses this email address to send any notifications and alerts to the user.

I believe it will 100% create new users - it might be worth reaching out to Domo support to see how you can stop that.

• davidwong
    Options

Our instance does not use SSO. I tested this with using the "newEmail" column in the Bulk Import and it worked with a couple of test accounts. I found that column here below in the following support article:

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042934274?language=en_US