Filter Chart Type

Options

I am creating a dashboard page and we prefer using filter chart types so we can move the filters anywhere in the dashboard that we see fit.

My cards have variables that contain options for different data points so users can choose how they want to see the same report (eg. by year, by quarter, by month). Is there a way to incorporate variables into filter chart types so users can choose the dimensions/data points in a dashboard page?

I tried dragging the variable into the items section, but it didn't stick. I don't think I can create a beast mode that's an alternative for a select statement to create the items either (eg. SELECT 'Year', 'Quarter', 'Month').

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can't use a variable directly in the items section. You need to use a variable in the beast mode.

You can add the variable control to the page and and configure it to be a dropdown to help apply to your different cards which use the varaible.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can't use a variable directly in the items section. You need to use a variable in the beast mode.

You can add the variable control to the page and and configure it to be a dropdown to help apply to your different cards which use the varaible.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • rmbourne
    Options

Thank you for your help @GrantSmith. I've used the variable in a beast mode to make my x-axis dynamic.

I'm aware that the option to choose to make the control appear in the analyzer and in the controls pane of an individual card is available, but not on a dashboard page.

Can you walk me though how I can add the variable control to the dashboard page?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

• rmbourne
    Options

@GrantSmith I just figured it out. The option to add a variable into a page is accessible when the dashboard is being edited. I'm such a newbie. Thanks man!