What is the best way to filter open-ended comments on a dashboard displaying survey results?

Options

We have several dashboards that we've built to review customer survey data. We always have several open-ended questions/comment boxes on these surveys, with thousands of responses.

Currently, I have these text responses set up as drop-down selector filter cards, which then populate table cards that are used in dashboard powerpoint exports for specific customers.

Unfortunately we are running into an issue with the powerpoint export when LONGER comments are selected, which evidently is occurring because there is a character limit on filters (You can only save a Filter view with a value of 254 characters or less). It causes the powerpoint to have lots of errors/missing visuals.

Help! I'd love to hear from anyone who has built dashboards with survey data, as I can't find many examples of this in the Domo help materials. And I'd specifically love help with this filtering of comments issue, as we currently have to export dashboards to powerpoint to share with our external partners. Currently we are just recommending that our staff send/export the specific table card to excel, but we'd rather have it all populate in one click to Powerpoint! Thanks for any ideas!

Best Answer

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would consider truncating long responses to a shorten text with (…) at the end. You can then put a tooltip or hover functionality that lets someone see more text when hovering. Or…create a drilldown. Instead of showing the full text, set a drilldown to see more details.

Excel should be a better export solution, instead of PowerPoint.

Myself…I got so tired of the cost of surveys online, I wrote my own survey application. In this situation, if I can't get the system to do it…I get out Visual Studio and create my own.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

Answers

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would consider truncating long responses to a shorten text with (…) at the end. You can then put a tooltip or hover functionality that lets someone see more text when hovering. Or…create a drilldown. Instead of showing the full text, set a drilldown to see more details.

Excel should be a better export solution, instead of PowerPoint.

Myself…I got so tired of the cost of surveys online, I wrote my own survey application. In this situation, if I can't get the system to do it…I get out Visual Studio and create my own.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Are you using the response text to identify a specific responder? What if instead you had the responder or response ID as the filter so you wouldn't have that character limit issue?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above