Create Nested Beast Mode that nest more than two levels

Options

Can we have it that we can nest beast within each other for more than two levels? I would like to create a beast using another beast mode and then use that to create another beast mode. The way I understand it, domo does not let us do this.

For instance,

beast mode 1= CASE WHEN 'column a'= '1' THEN 'column b' END

beast mode 2= 'beast mode 1'*1000

beast mode 3='column c'/'beast mode 2'

Currently I am unable to do this.

I am hoping we can do this using beast modes as it would make things a lot easier!

Tagged:
21 votes

In Backlog · Last Updated

Comments

• Jemiller
    Options

If we could nest beast modes 5-10 levels, that would make it way easier for us to write complex formulas.

It would also be great if we could click a button to unnest the beast mode so we can see what the full formula looks like without opening it in a new window.

Thanks!

• DataMaven
    Options

CASE WHEN 'column a'= '1' THEN ('column c'/('column b' *1000)) END

This seems to belong in the question section, rather than the ideas exchange.

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Matt Tannyhill
    Matt Tannyhill Domo Product Manager
    Options

sobo we hear you! Thanks for this feedback. Adding support for nesting calculations multiple levels deep is something we are looking into for the future.

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

Data Analysis & Visualization

• sobo
    sobo Member
    Options

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much! This will help a lot

• Sam_Donabedian
    edited April 8
    Options

With respect to Nested Beast Mode, would love the ability to allow calcs to reference beyond one level. 

I am referring to overcoming the current limitation noted in the following FAQ:

Can I reference a calculation that is already referencing another calculation?
    No. At this time, calculations can only reference up one level. This means that if Calculation A is being referenced by Calculation B, Calculation C cannot reference Calculation B. However, any number of calculations can reference Calculation A.

My team is a big fan of nested beast modes and have hit the current limitation a number of times.

• Matt Tannyhill
    Matt Tannyhill Domo Product Manager
    edited April 8
    Options

Hey @Sam_Donabedian, it looks like this is a duplicate of this previous post. Thanks for posting though and sharing your feedback!

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

Data Analysis & Visualization