Data transformation Question

Options

I am working on a report where the data looks like below (sample data):

Services : JAS, GAF and YAG fall under the profit center "ABC" and HIG and OPD falls under "XYZ"

Date

Profit Center

Service

1/1/24

ABC

1/1/24

JAS

1/1/24

GAF

1/1/24

YAG

1/1/24

XYZ

1/1/24

HIG

1/1/24

OPD

I want my final output to look like below, there should be a profit center for each service in each row.

Date

Profit Center

Service

1/1/24

ABC

XCS

1/1/24

ABC

JAS

1/1/24

ABC

GAF

1/1/24

ABC

YAG

1/1/24

XYZ

HIG

1/1/24

XYZ

OPD

Can someone please guide me how can we do that in domo etl ? I know that window functions (lag,lead) aren't supported in Domo's mysql, so trying to find a solution with magic etl.

Thankyou

Best Answer

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Do the services map to profit centers? For example, is XCS always in the ABC profit center? How many total services & profit centers are there? Are there any other fields that group profit centers together?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Ashleigh
    Options

@SS1108 If the service centers always map to the same profit center you could use a mapping table that joins into the ETL or you can do a beastmode/formula tile like below

case

when 'service' in ('XCS', 'JAS', 'GAF', 'YAG') then 'ABC'

when 'service' in ('HIG','OPD') then 'XYZ'

end

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• DavidChurchman
    edited February 6 Answer βœ“
    Options

I think you want to fill down the Profit Center column, and once you've created a filled down Profit Center column, you could filter out the blank Service rows.

Here's a good explanation from @MichelleH on filling down using Group-By and Coalesce in MagicETL:

I also like the Python implementation from @user01506 (except that Python in a MagicETL feels like putting on a lobster bib at a Denny's)

Please πŸ’‘/πŸ’–/πŸ‘/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

• Dev_
    Dev_ Member
    Options

@DavidChurchman the explanation fromΒ @MichelleHΒ was really helpful. I was able to successfully map the data. Thank you so much