Tool Tips

Options

Hi,

I am trying to use tooltips for the first time so that I can add it to the data label on my bar chart. I know when you use a pivot table you have options to do % of subtotal for certain columns. Is there a way to do that in the tool tip field?

Answers

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

You'll need to first create a beastmode calculating the percentage and use that as the tooltip field. Make sure you configure the format on the tooltip column as a percentage.

• ColinHaze
    Options

jessdoe I am having a hard time creating this beastmode.

The beastmode I am using is SUM(Loads) OVER (PARTITION BY CARRIER_NAME) / SUM(Loads)

What could I be doing Wrong?

• MichelleH
    Options

@ColinHaze You can also try using the %_PERCENT_OF_CATEGORY macro in the Hover Text. There is also a an option for percent of total.

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

Is carrier_name your X axis and loads your Y? If so your data is already partitioned by carrier_name. What are you trying to subtotal? Maybe paste a screenshot of your bar graph if you can.

• ColinHaze
    Options

Here is the graph. I am trying to get 32.71% (which is in the piviot table) to show in the first tier when I hover over Kinard. Concentration is just the % of subtotal in the pivot table.

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

Try

sum(sum(cpm_beastmode)) over(partition by carrier_name, month(`fiscal months`)) /

sum(sum(cpm_beastmode)) over(partition by carrier_name, year(`fiscal months`))

• ColinHaze
    Options

That didnt seem to work. Looking at Kinard for 7-1-2023 that beastmode gave me 17%

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

What's your cpm formula?

• ColinHaze
    Options

SUM(Carrier Pay) / SUM(Total billed miles)

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

Hmm I don't know, you can try adding the distinct command as in sum(sum (distinct cpm formula)) but I you may have to aggregate that in the ETL first. Or use Michelle's hover text option if that rolls up correctly.

• ColinHaze
    Options

Thank you for trying! Ill keep playing around with it!

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

Yeah let me know if you do figure it out please Colin

• @ColinHaze

Could you walk me through the math for Kinard Trucking for July that you are looking for?

Do you want to see:

(sum of Kinard for July) / (sum of Kinard for entire time period)

(6.64) / (38.13) = ~17%

or

(sum of Kinard for July) / (sum of all carriers in July)

(6.64) / (41.35) = ~16%

Neither of these seem to get to 37%

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • ColinHaze
    Options

ST_-Superman-_

The value I want the chart to display is the CPM(which it is doing correctly) The problem comes in with the hover text.

Here is my logic using a simple example.

For the month of 7/1/2023

Kinard has 34 loads

The other companies like kkw, power logistics, etc… have different # of loads. Lets just say all the loads summed together = 100 so Kinard has 34/100 = 34% concentration. Ideally I want to do this for each month and allow the user to hover over the bar chart and get the % concentration for the month. Does that make sense?