Is it possible to calculate ROAS and WoW change in the same beast mode formula?

Options

I'm working on a pivot table and I want to show the % change of ROAS from last week vs. two weeks ago. My dataset does not contain a 'ROAS' column so I'm trying to calculate it within the WoW beast mode formula. If I breakout the formula below into two parts (LW ROAS vs. 2WA ROAS), the first part will correctly give me last week's ROAS but I'll get blank rows for the latter.

Columns are structured as: Week | Sales|ROAS|LW ROAS|2WA ROAS (Blank Rows)|WoW Difference

Here's the formula that I'm using:

(sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE()) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE()) then sales end)/ sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE()) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE()) then spend end)
/
sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) then sales end)/ sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) then spend end)) - 1

Best Answer

Answers

• marcel_luthi
    Options

@ccc123 without using Domo formulas, sadly I'm having a hard time following the logic since each part of your WHEN statement does not really evaluates to a Boolean value (I know this is not mandatory, but surely helps making it clear for others to understand when you want things to happen or not), could you explain how you'd calculate ROAS and whether this is meant to be responsive to filters or always calculated from the full raw dataset information. If the later, you might be best doing this on a ETL and using a Rank and Window function with Lag to get the LW and 2WA ones.

• ccc123
    ccc123 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

@marcel_luthi the first part below calculates the last week ROAS and its always calculated from the raw dataset, which is why it almost looks the same except for the 'Spend' and 'Sales'. This part is working correctly and it returns last week's ROAS.

(sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE()) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE()) then sales end)/ sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE()) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE()) then spend end)

The second part below calculates the ROAS from 2 weeks ago, this is the part where I'm having trouble with. I can't seem to find the solution to pull and calculate the ROAS from two weeks ago.

sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) then sales end)/ sum(case when day(date_)-day(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) and week(date_)-week(CURDATE() - INTERVAL 7 day) then spend end)) - 1

The '/' you see between the two parts is part of the WoW difference formula along with the '-1'.

"(current value/past value)-1".

Any articles or videos you recommend to do this with rank and window function? I'm fairly new to domo so I have idea what those are.

• DashboardDude
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ccc123 ,

Here's my video on how to do rates:

and here's my video on time comparisons:

Just for you or anyone who wants to see for future reference

John Le

You're only one dashboard away.

Click here for more video solutions: https://www.dashboarddudes.com/pantry