How Domo calculate the average of a column

Hi,

In my data set, I have a column that has a score of 1-7. I want to use the average of this column. However, some of the rows in this column is blank. Is Domo just going to ignore these blank when calculate the average? Or I need to add anything in the blank rows to make the calculation accurate?

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @sky00221155

Domo will ignore those blanks when calculating the average. It depends on your use case and what a blank value represents. NULLs typically mean there is no data so there's no certainty as to what that value represents and is typically ignored when calculating averages. If you want the NULLs to represent something then you'd need to set the NULLs to be a specific value.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@sky00221155 the NULL handling on aggregate functions (like AVG) is the same as in Excel. If the column contains a NULL, it will not impact the numerator or denominator while calculating average. If, for your data, NULL is synonymous with 0, then you have to replace the NULLs with 0 and then they will impact the average.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @sky00221155

Domo will ignore those blanks when calculating the average. It depends on your use case and what a blank value represents. NULLs typically mean there is no data so there's no certainty as to what that value represents and is typically ignored when calculating averages. If you want the NULLs to represent something then you'd need to set the NULLs to be a specific value.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@sky00221155 the NULL handling on aggregate functions (like AVG) is the same as in Excel. If the column contains a NULL, it will not impact the numerator or denominator while calculating average. If, for your data, NULL is synonymous with 0, then you have to replace the NULLs with 0 and then they will impact the average.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thank you! That helps a lot.