Swapping A field On Multiple Cards At The Same Time

Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to replace a field (lets call it field X) with another field (field Y), to all cards that use field X at the same time. Currently have the need to do this for over 100 cards and it would be great if there was a way to do this all at the same time. 

For additional context, this is not a shared beastmode. I know in a shared beastmode I can just edit and save the existing beastmode and it would apply across all cards using the same dataset. 

Any help to make this task more efficient would be appreciated.

Comments

• If your datasset is powered by a Magic ETL, this is pretty easy. Just add a Select Columns tile and alias the field that you want to use as the name of the field that is currently being used in your cards. Then, rename the current field to something else, or just remove it in the Select Columns tile. Make sure you match the name exactly, as it is case sensitive. 

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • So this is the main problem, we are doing a name change.

• @user052734 

Have you looked into using the Java CLI tool - https://knowledge.domo.com/Administer/Other_Administrative_Tools/Command_Line_Interface_(CLI)_Tool

That may be an easier way to update the beast modes rather than going through each card.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Hi thanks for this, I will look into this. Any additonal contect that you can provide as to the steps that you would take when using the tool? Admittedly I'm at a novice level when it comes to all this stuff, I pretty much went from being a stakeholder requesting things, to a semi power user for all the front end stuff, and now I'm trying to learn more of the backend dataset/admin stuff. 

• Java CLI will not alter beast modes saved to a dataset @GrantSmith  (yet AFAIK).

you can backup cards which will give you the json blob / representation of a card.  then you can use any text editor to do a string replace of card names.

then upload the card definition back to Domo.  

I think @MarkSnodgrass 's method is ... the easier method if you dn't have to do a column rename.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.