Color Rule on Grouped Bar

Options

Say you have a grouped bar

X = Date/Month

Y = Amount

Bar 1 = Target Amount

Bar 2 = Current Amount

Each month has a different Target Amount. What I want it when Current Amount >= Target Amount then Color 1 else Color 2.  

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓
    Options

Color rules can only be applied based on the field name or the value of that field.  They are not able to look at values from other fields.  

You could try displaying just the Variance.  Created a beastmode

`Current Amount`/`Target Amount`

Then your graph would be a percentage of their target amount, the goal (or scale marker) would be set at 1 and you could assign color rules based on >=1 or <1.

I think you should even be able to have the Target amount as a bar too, if you can split the y axis.  Have the left axis be the target amount and the right axis be the percentage.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman

Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Options

You could create a beastmode to split out the current amount into an above target field and a below target field.  then add those to your graph instead of the current amount field:

Above Target

case when `Current Amount`>=`Target Amount` then `Current Amount` end

Below Target

case when `Current Amount`<`Target Amount` then `Current Amount` end

You would then apply a color rule for above target and one for below target

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Sweep_The_Leg
    Options

Well i got the two beastmodes to work, but after dropping them into the axis, the bars would become separated depending on which beastmode was true at the time. 

Ideally, it'd be nice to have color rules that reference other fields rather than static values. 

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓
    Options

Color rules can only be applied based on the field name or the value of that field.  They are not able to look at values from other fields.  

You could try displaying just the Variance.  Created a beastmode

`Current Amount`/`Target Amount`

Then your graph would be a percentage of their target amount, the goal (or scale marker) would be set at 1 and you could assign color rules based on >=1 or <1.

I think you should even be able to have the Target amount as a bar too, if you can split the y axis.  Have the left axis be the target amount and the right axis be the percentage.

• Sweep_The_Leg
    Options

Perfect, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.