Month filter not working on all cards in an App?

I have 2 card visuals for my app right now. Card #1use dataset 1 (have a month and a year column). Card #2 use dataset 2 (which has a date column, formatted as 'yyyy-mm-dd'

And so my goal is to select a Month (say August), and both card #1 and #2 would show the data only for August.

But if I create a "Dropdown Selector" card using dataset 1, only card #1 get filtered and vice versa. What should I do?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Manasi_Panov
    Manasi_Panov Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hello @verytiredgirl,

Yes, Magic ETL is the easiest solution with a Formula tile using this formula:

MONTHNAME(Date) - for extracting the months as text;

or

MONTH(Date) - for extracting the months as integer;

If you have the Month as an integer you can use the same CASE statement in ETL.

Instead of relying on Beast Mode for generating month names, use Magic ETL for both datasets and attempt filtering once more.

If you found this post helpful, please use 💡/💖/👍/😊 below! If it solved your problem, don't forget to accept the answer.

Answers

• If you name the fields the exact same and they have the same format / values then when you filter the page it'll filter both cards. You'll need to transform your data to either have a new column or format your existing column to have the same format

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Hi @verytiredgirl,

Create a new column from the 'Date' in Dataset 2 using the specified formula:

MONTHNAME(Date)

This will extract the full month name from the 'Date' column. To format it as a 3-letter abbreviation for example (e.g., Feb, Aug, Sep), use:

SUBSTRING(MONTHNAME(Date), 1, 3)

The format of the Month column should be the same as in Dataset 1.

If you found this post helpful, please use 💡/💖/👍/😊 below! If it solved your problem, don't forget to accept the answer.

• Thanks for the reply! How would you suggest creating a new column for Dataset 2? Should it be done in Magic ETL?

For Dataset 1, I have a month column (integer values 1, 2, …, 12) and a Beast Mode “Month Name” that uses a CASE WHEN statement to convert the month integer to its 3-letter abbreviation.

In Dataset 2, using Magic ETL, I used the Date Operator tile to extract the year and month (integer) columns from the Date column. I also created the same Beast Mode “Month Name.”

However, in the App, the month name filter works for all cards using Dataset 1, but not for those using Dataset 2.

• Manasi_Panov
    Manasi_Panov Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hello @verytiredgirl,

Yes, Magic ETL is the easiest solution with a Formula tile using this formula:

MONTHNAME(Date) - for extracting the months as text;

or

MONTH(Date) - for extracting the months as integer;

If you have the Month as an integer you can use the same CASE statement in ETL.

Instead of relying on Beast Mode for generating month names, use Magic ETL for both datasets and attempt filtering once more.