Beast mode for help Sorting column

Options

I need a beast mode so i can sort a column. I need to take the number out of this Engine column so then can sort in order. I have values like this

Engine 1

Engine 2

Plant Engine 1

Engine 3

Plant Engine 2

Engine 4

Engine 5

I figure if i can just do a formula to take out the number then i can sort them together based on number

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Sean_Tully
    Sean_Tully Contributor
    edited May 9 Answer ✓
    Options

There may be an easier way, but I usually write a beast mode to assign a number to each string value, like:

case when engine = 'Engine 1' then 1

when engine = 'Engine 2' then 2

when engine = 'Plant Engine 1' then 3….etc.

This may not be ideal if the values of the string change or keep growing over time.

If the number is always the last character of the string, I think you can do right(`engine`, 1), but if the data is similar to your sample, you'll have two 1's, two 2's, etc.

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have a lot of different combinations and don't want to do this manually, an option is to do it in ETL with REGEXP_REPLACE.

REGEXP_REPLACE(string, '^.(\d).$', '$1')*1

David Cunningham

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree 😀, Like 👍️, or Awesome ❤️ below **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! ✔️**

Answers

• Sean_Tully
    Sean_Tully Contributor
    edited May 9 Answer ✓
    Options

There may be an easier way, but I usually write a beast mode to assign a number to each string value, like:

case when engine = 'Engine 1' then 1

when engine = 'Engine 2' then 2

when engine = 'Plant Engine 1' then 3….etc.

This may not be ideal if the values of the string change or keep growing over time.

If the number is always the last character of the string, I think you can do right(`engine`, 1), but if the data is similar to your sample, you'll have two 1's, two 2's, etc.

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have a lot of different combinations and don't want to do this manually, an option is to do it in ETL with REGEXP_REPLACE.

REGEXP_REPLACE(string, '^.(\d).$', '$1')*1

David Cunningham

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree 😀, Like 👍️, or Awesome ❤️ below **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! ✔️**