Average Date Calculation

Options
damen
damen Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to do an average date calculation in Domo? I am working with a table that has close to 30k rows and all we are trying to do is get an average date for the date column.

Is this possible? I looked in the beast mode functions and could not confirm it was in there.

Thanks

If this helps, feel free to agree, accept or awesome it!

Best Answer

• nmizzell
    nmizzell Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@damen I think that the average date will give you an incomplete or inaccurate result for this application. I suggest you compute each security's Macauly and Modified duration https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/duration.asp . This is the traditional metric for determining the "Average date" / interest rate sensitivity of a bond portfolio.

Answers

• MichelleH
    Options

@damen Does AVG(`Date`) work?

• damen
    damen Contributor
    Options

@MichelleH it gave an integer that was not correct. I believe excel can do this but am not sure how Domo does.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

One possibility is to convert your date to an integer using the UNIX_TIMESTAMP function and then use the AVG function and then convert that value back to a date using the FROM_UNIXTIME function. It would look like this:

FROM_UNIXTIME(AVG(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(datefield)))

You might need to add a round function in there as well in case the average returns a decimal number, which the FROM_UNIXTIME function would have a problem with.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • MichelleH
    Options

@damen I agree with @MarkSnodgrass' suggestion. Out of curiosity, what are you trying to represent by taking an average of a date?

• damen
    damen Contributor
    Options

@MichelleH Investors want to know the average dates of loans that are in bonds and indentures. It gives them an idea of potential turnover time for the loans in the categories we are describing.

• nmizzell
    nmizzell Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@damen I think that the average date will give you an incomplete or inaccurate result for this application. I suggest you compute each security's Macauly and Modified duration https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/duration.asp . This is the traditional metric for determining the "Average date" / interest rate sensitivity of a bond portfolio.