How do I set up a Beast Mode to count distinct events within a date range?

Options

Hi Domo geniuses,

I have a dataset with a timestamp 'Start' field that tells me the date and time that a user session began. There's another column for User Session ID, which has its own unique ID. I want to count the number of distinct user sessions in the first year but Domo is having difficulty processing the data. The formula validates but I get this error message:

Here's my Beast Mode:

Case When start>= MIN(DATE(Start))AND Start< DATE_ADD(Min(DATE(Start)),INTERVAL 1 Year) THEN COUNT(DISTINCT Session ID) ELSE 0 END

Tagged:

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited December 2023
    Options

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• seth_e
    Options

I'm getting a syntax error

• GrantSmith
    Options

You can't aggregate an aggregate in a beast mode unless you're attempting to use a window or fixed function. Also, you can't compare an individual value to the aggregate of that same value within the same beast mode. Again this can be resolved with a window or fixed function:

COUNT(DISTINCT CASE WHEN `Start` >= MIN(DATE(`Start`)) FIXED () AND `` < DATE_ADD(Min(DATE(`Start`)) FIXED (), INTERVAL 1 Year) THEN `` END)

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • seth_e
    Options

Thanks Grant, when I try this I get a syntax error

• seth_e
    Options

@GrantSmith I fixed the sintax error with the code below but now it's only returning 1 user session per customer, which isn't correct. Any ideas what I can do?

COUNT(DISTINCT
    Case When Start>= MIN(DATE(Start)) FIXED () AND Start< DATE_ADD(Min(DATE(Start)) FIXED (),INTERVAL 1 Year)
    THEN
    Session ID
    END)