Case Statement with Count Distinct

Hi I am trying to write a case statement to find how many individuals are admitted (so admitted = admission date present AND discharge date and decreased dates are blank). I have this so far:

Count (DISTINCT
Case when (STATUS = 'Admitted')
AND DISCHARGEDDATE IS NULL
AND DECEASEDDATE IS NULL
THEN IDFFORMID
END

I want to count the distinct IDFFORMID only when the above conditions are present

Tagged:

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Yes, you'd need to utilize a group by function. You can either use a function in the group by or use a formula tile to put your CASE statement in and then do a distinct count with a group by tile.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• Are you keying your admitted based off of STATUS or and ADMITDATE field?

What issues are you running into with your beast mode?

It looks like you're missing the trailing ) in your beast mode after the END.

• I was trying to do the calculation in a formula tile on an ETL but I just read that I need to do it in a group by tile. Trying that now. I was basing the status off a status filed however sometimes that field is not updated when a discharge or death occurs so I am trying to get a true census based on people admitted who are not discharged or died.

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Yes, you'd need to utilize a group by function. You can either use a function in the group by or use a formula tile to put your CASE statement in and then do a distinct count with a group by tile.