Creating "Other" group in a chart

How do I write a beast mode that will group a large collection of small values into an "Other" group (Say any with a sum of values under 200) without specifying the members of that group?

Edit: I should mention that these would be sums of multiple values. Meaning multiple rows per day but the sum is still <200 in the time frame specified. 

I want a pretty bar chart without needing to export to Excel.

Comments

• If there is only one instance for each value (i.e. each customer name appears only once) then you could use:

Title the beast mode formula something like "Adjusted Group"

case when `Value` < 200 then 'Other' else `Group` end

`Value` = your values you are checking to see if they are smaller than 200

`Group` = the grouping you are trying to sort by

• Yes, I should have specified that there are multiple values in each. I'm looking for the sum.

I'll edit the post. 

• I'm not sure if this can be done in beast mode, but I know it can be done in mysql and in ETL transform.

If it were me, I would just "group by" as a transform for the relevant field and then run the same formula that I posted above.  Is there any reason you would still need to see the individual entries?  That would be the only drawback of this solution.

• Darius
    Darius Domo Employee

Is the goal to have this group created for your category (usually X-) axis, or is this for your series in your chart?

Darius Rose
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Yes, that's the goal. 

This discussion has been closed.