changing a column data type

Options

Hello community,

I have a column that has dates yet the data type for this column is showing as a 'text'. I've been looking everywhere, but I don't see any options that would allow me to change the data type for this column. Where can I find the menu to change a columns data type? Is this even possible in domo? Thank you!

Best Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a few ways to change the column type. The easiest would be in Magic ETL.

1. Open the dataset in Magic ETL
    2. Add an Alter Columns tile
    3. Choose the column in the alter columns tile and select "Date" for CAST DATA TYPE

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

As @ColemenWilson said, there are multiple ways to do this. Here's a video that walks you through some options:

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a few ways to change the column type. The easiest would be in Magic ETL.

1. Open the dataset in Magic ETL
    2. Add an Alter Columns tile
    3. Choose the column in the alter columns tile and select "Date" for CAST DATA TYPE

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

As @ColemenWilson said, there are multiple ways to do this. Here's a video that walks you through some options:

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • ArborRose
    Options

If you are bringing the data in via API, you may have options to change the data type in the API settings. I use the NoCode oAuth connector, which has a schema definition. If the auto-detect does not recognize the data type you need, you can set it.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• newbie123
    Options

Thank you all! It's a bit more complicated than I had hoped, but I will follow the steps. Thanks again!

• DataMaven
    Options

Hi @newbie123 - It's a best practice to only build cards off of datasets which have been through a dataflow, however, I understand that under the new consumption model, that has consequences.

So - If we must be building cards off of raw datasets, here's a beast mode that may help you:

Date(`Date`)

If that doesn't work, you may have leading or trailing spaces. If that's the case, try:

Date(trim(`Date`))

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"