Magic ETL - Lower Case to Upper Case Join

swagner
swagner Contributor

I've got some extral data coming in via FTP that contains a key field that sometimes has lower case charcters.  Attemping a join in Magic ETL and some appear to be failing based on case difference (lower case in one and upper case in the other).

How best to fix?

• Is there a way to format a field as UPPER CASE in Magic ETL?
  • Is there a way to do a join in Magic ETL that's not case sensitive?
  • Other ideas?

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

It might not be exactly what you want to do but MySQL DataFlows support the UPPER function you could perform your ETL work in MySQL instead of Magic ETL.

Alternatively you have the MySQL Dataflow just do the upper conversion and then use that MySQL dataflow as your input into your current Magic ETL.

You'd think they'd have a LOWER or UPPER option in the string operations tile. I've posted a new idea for it: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Add-UPPER-and-LOWER-other-formatting-functions-as-options-in-the/idi-p/47951

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

It might not be exactly what you want to do but MySQL DataFlows support the UPPER function you could perform your ETL work in MySQL instead of Magic ETL.

Alternatively you have the MySQL Dataflow just do the upper conversion and then use that MySQL dataflow as your input into your current Magic ETL.

You'd think they'd have a LOWER or UPPER option in the string operations tile. I've posted a new idea for it: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Add-UPPER-and-LOWER-other-formatting-functions-as-options-in-the/idi-p/47951

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • swagner
    swagner Contributor

@GrantSmith thanks for the reply.  I'm really trying to do this in Magic ETL so I don't have to add another layer (if possible).