MS Office PowerPoint Variable Integration

Hey Community,

We are looking to get some better integration with variables in the office plugins.

Specifically, we are looking at the Powerpoint plugin, and we want to be able to bring in cards and dashboards that have Beast Modes utilizing Variables in the calculations.

Perhaps something like you do for Filters, the ability to change the Variable for the card. It would also be nice to be able to see what the variable is on the slide.

Another idea is to have a global variables page that could control all variables used in the Presentation.

5 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Awaiting customer response.

Comments

• cadellfalconer
    cadellfalconer Domo Product Manager

Hi @StevenJRowe - Thanks for the submission.

Adding of variables to the addins is something we've been looking to undertake and do have a tentative plan for. I wanted to check that plan with you and see if it would meet your needs.

I'm thinking of adding the following two ways to leverage variables with the addins:
    1. When importing a card and the card modal is displayed, where you're able to configure the different settings and filters for that card, add an option for "Add Variable Setting".
    Once clicked you could find the appropriate variable from the list and set it's value.
    This will set the card to use that variable value and will only affect that card.

2. Under the "Document" > "Document Level Filters" settings, add an option as above to add a variable and it's value that will apply to all cards that leverage it in the document.

Further to the above two options, when importing a card there is a setting which is "Show Filter Values", we would also add a comparable option for "Show Variable Values". Which when enabled, will show the variable value which is being used by that card.

Would this address your requirements?

Cadell Falconer
    Principal Product Manager
  • Hi @cadellfalconer

Thanks for your feedback.

Looking at both options and how we're structured, option 2 makes more sense at overall document-level filtering.

Thanks

• Hey @cadellfalconer any update on having this prioritized?

Just ran into this issue as we build out some dashboards, where the variables work great on our dashboard, but then make using the powerpoint plugin almost unusable.

Option 1 and 2 should work as that operates the same way filters do today. Having just option 2 could pose problems

Thanks

• cadellfalconer
    cadellfalconer Domo Product Manager

Hi @bworek - Good news is this is nearly ready.
    We are hoping to make this feature available in this months release (towards the end of this month), if we miss that, it should be in next months release! 🙂

CC @Khushboo who is now owning Addins going forwards, for further updates.

Cadell Falconer
    Principal Product Manager
  • khushboo_
    khushboo_ Domo Product Manager

Additional note: The current planned release would include Option 2 only.

• @cadellfalconer @khushboo_

That's great news! Thanks for the update.

I would like to still express the desire for option 1, as with just option 2 I still wouldn't be able to have side by side comparisons of variable x vs y. For the meantime, we'll have to do it in a second presentation and copy the slides/charts into my final presentation (while also not refreshing/scanning)