Card Drill Path with Different Data Set

I've got CardA using Dataset1 and CardB usind Dataset2.  I'd like the drillpath for CardA to show CardB.  When I try to accomplish this, I get an error about CardB having a different dataset than CardA.

CardA is a list of all employees and their total expenses YTD.

CardB is an individual employee and their YTD expenses broken down by [expense category].  Where employee name is a filter.  

The difference between DataSet1 and Dataset2 is the [expense category].  I could add [expense category] to Dataset1, but I don't own that dataset, so I'm trying to figure another way around this issue.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Cartergan
    Cartergan Contributor

One thought I have is using Dataset 2 as the dataset for both cards. With Card A youo can list the employees and maybe sum their expesnses to show their total YTD. Then for the drill down, using the same dataset, you can show the breakdown of the expenses. 

Let me know if this would work for what you are trying to accomplish. 

• Thanks for the reply.  I don't own CardA or it's dataset.  I can change it's drill thru, but I don't want to change anything else about CardA (I can but I prefer not to).

• Cartergan
    Cartergan Contributor

You need to create a new CardA using the second dataset, then drill down using the same dataset basically mirroring the previous two cards. There is no other alternative if you do not have access to the datasets or cards.. 

• I have access to Dataset2.

• Cartergan
    Cartergan Contributor

Yes. Since dataset2 has the individual breakdown of employee expenses you can use that dataset for both cards (meaning you'd have to remake one of the cards). On the new CardA, you can sum the individual expenses to show a total amount, and then for the drill down have it show the indivdual amounts. 

• Thanks @Cartergan  Your input is appreciated.  Unfortunately, creating a duplicate CardA using Dataset2 is not the goal.  The goal is to have a drill through for CardA that uses Dataset2.  Maybe that's not possible.

• Do the employee name fields match in both datasets? If so, you can accomplish this by adding a drill layer to CardA, which will default to Dataset1. After that you can switch the drill layer to Dataset2 under the "Data" section in the Analyzer. Then you can recreate the configurations of CardB in the drill layer of CardA. What should happen is that by clicking on the employee name in CardA, it will take you to that employee's YTD expenses by category. 

This discussion has been closed.