Charts/Graph by

NIKKI
NIKKI Member
edited April 2023 in Charting

I want to display a bar chart with X axis = location and Y axis = total hours for each location but I want be able to view the data by month, week and day. I do have a date column. what is the best way to do this, the graph by option is not working.

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@NIKKI The Graphy by option is only available if you have are using a date column in your card, so it is not showing up for you now because Location is currently in the X-Axis instead of the date. I'd recommend keeping the Location in the X-Axis and Total Hours in the Y-Axis, but adding a drill that uses your date field to the X-Axis instead. You should have the option to change the date groupings on the drill layer.

This is a fairly common approach that you could take when you want to graph multiple dimensions, though this Knowledge Base article outlines some best practices for choosing chart types based on your data:

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042935294?language=en_US

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@NIKKI The Graphy by option is only available if you have are using a date column in your card, so it is not showing up for you now because Location is currently in the X-Axis instead of the date. I'd recommend keeping the Location in the X-Axis and Total Hours in the Y-Axis, but adding a drill that uses your date field to the X-Axis instead. You should have the option to change the date groupings on the drill layer.

This is a fairly common approach that you could take when you want to graph multiple dimensions, though this Knowledge Base article outlines some best practices for choosing chart types based on your data:

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042935294?language=en_US

• NIKKI
    NIKKI Member

Thank you @MichelleH

• @NIKKI

You should put your date column in the x axis then use the “trellis/tiered dates” chart property to include a trellis category. Then drag location over to the “category 2” field. I would recommend making location also be the series when you do this as well.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman