Magic ETL - Allow group by without a grouping column

GrantSmith
GrantSmith Coach
edited March 13 in Magic ETL Ideas

There are times when I want to calculate aggregated metrics across the entire dataset. Currently this isn't possible without adding a constant value column to group on which I then have to remove later in my pipeline. It'd be much smoother if the Group By tile allowed us to group across the entire dataset without having to use a bogus constant column.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
**Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
12 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Good idea - this is something I've run up against too. I'll review with the team.

Comments

• So what are you saying is that you just need a grand total? Maybe you can share an example of what you are trying to achieve

• @ChristianW - Yes exactly what I'm looking to do but you can't get it without adding a constant value to group on in the group by tile. SQL and Window Functions don't require a column to perform a grand total.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Sorry, but I am not sure if you can just add a grand total within the ETL, probably that would be the best to do in a card? However, since you mentioned window functions you can do the same with the Rank and Window tile:

Set the function as a Sum, select the column which contains your values and set it to unbounded to 0

Then you can set the order and partitions if you wish

• Good idea - I get what you're saying. This is something I've run up against too. I'll review with the team.

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)